Monday, May 08, 2006

Cynic Conference Recap

The picture at the left represents my time, on a whole, at the conference this past week. There was much speculation I would have a dreadful time listening to old men's painfully unfunny jokes. But the first night I was there, the strangest thing happened. I met two wonderful people (Kate and Aislinn)...and I had fun.

After the initial "Hi-How-Are-Ya" introductions we went to a cocktail reception and drank. Then we went to dinner and drank some more. The next day we left lunch to find a package store; we bought a 12-pack. We started drinking that at 5:15. By 6:30 it was gone. We then went to another cocktail hour. We left dinner early to go find a store that was a) open past 8:30 p.m. and b) sold alcohol.

We found a grocery store and gleefully ran down the aisles until we located the beer section. We picked up the closest box-o-beer and hurried to the cash register. I looked down at some point, noticing that the box I was holding contained cans. Thirty cans of Miller Lite. All at once I feel massively ashamed that I've stooped so low, and giddy at the prospect of feeling like I am 14 (I started early) again.

Ever the studious one, Kate mentions that we don't have mini-fridges in our hotel rooms, and in the event that we DID have mini-fridges, a 30-pack would never fit. Without a flinch, Aislinn tells us to get ice from the ice machine down the hall. Within 2 minutes, we had our very own sink-cooler. She's my hero.

And without further ado...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Aislinn is the perfect marketing conference mentor.

She well understands it really is all about the beer. And prancing on the bed wearing soft furnishings.

Scallawags, the lot of you.

Wombat

KUYAZ said...

Great lamps!!! Where's the third?

Min said...

Mr. W - I knew you would be proud. I ran down the store aisles thinking to myself, "What Would Wombat Do?"

Kuya - If you are refering to moi...I was just the photographer. Any photographic evidence of my ever being present (especially whilst drunk) was erased and/or burned.

Unknown said...

And you guessed correctly.

Well, Heineken, but let's not quibble.

Wombat

Min said...

Let's just please state for the record that these were desperate times. Hence the Miller Lite in cans. CANS!!!

I didn't know you golfed, Mr. W.

Unknown said...

Golfed, dear Min? Whatever makes you write that?

I do, infrequently thesedays, and with rather less skill than is desireable.


Wombat

Min said...

In my experience, golfers prefer Heineken. I just like their ad campaigns.

KUYAZ said...

I don't golf, and I like Brahma.

Min said...

The Hindu god? Oh...it's beer, too. Thank God for google...Brahma's website is absolutely wonderful.

KUYAZ said...

You actually got on to their website?!?!
Took forever to load for me so I gave up. Something tells me I am missing loads.