Thursday, April 05, 2007

Easter: Not As Cool As Christmas


I can respect the ancient tradition of a Spring festival, chock full of fertility rites and sexual innuendo. But then the Christians embraced the holiday and made it into some ridiculous ghost story about the Son of God coming back to life. How can parents possibly reassure little Johnny that zombies aren't real, while telling him that their savior rose from the dead? They should make it more believable by saying to Johnny that unless he's good during the year, Jesus will come back and feed on his flesh while he's sleeping.

So terrific; I get boiled eggs handed to me in a basket with fake, shiny, plastic, green grass that is almost as bad as tinsel: you find a strand of it three months later while you're sweeping. And why the Hell does Easter have to be on a Sunday? I always have Sundays off. The only difference with this Sunday is that I'm obligated to have dinner with my family.

Easter sucks.

2 comments:

thephoenixnyc said...

Hmmm. I like your take on this, the Zombie angle is an interesting look at it.

I think this time of year was Saturnalia for the Romans right?

Min said...

Actually, Saturnalia was celebrated during the winter solstice - December 17th-ish.

I think Easter was stolen from the Druids...but don't quote me on that.