Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Paging Dwight Yokohomo

A friend came to visit from upstate NY, so we did what any good New Yorker does: we took her on a double-decker-tour bus of the downtown loop because we've always wanted to go but never had a real tourist to go with. My code name: Dottie Mae. I was joined by Puffins, a.k.a. Dwight Yokohomo, and Nan-the-blogless-Porkchop, henceforth referred to as Phyllis Freidman.

The Gray Line was actually very nice; I think I saw more of Manhattan in 2 hours than I've seen in 6 years. We passed the Flat Iron building that I've always just known as the Flat Iron building without ever realizing that it's called the Flat Iron building because it looks like a flat iron. I'm blonde. Leave me alone.

After a stint in Longchamp in which I gazed at $700 bags made of cow, we made our way across the street to a Burberry (nice snag, Phyllis!) before heading to Lasso: the best cheap gourmet pizza in SoHo. May I suggest the Pizza Giardini? Dwight is thinking of having his B-day there. It's a chic Chuck E. Cheese for grown-up Manhattanites; what's not to like?

At several points during the day/evening I, as a tourist, wanted to whip out my Cannon and take photos of the hawkers on Canal St. and maybe even the sign we saw for "New BJ's, only $0.99!" However, Dottie Mae didn't think to bring her camera.

No comments: