Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Is This A Date?

I walk in from a lunch meeting to see flowers and a box of chocolates on my desk. It's not my birthday, and I certainly didn't give any reason for my boss to dote upon me. Then I see the note: Happy Administrative Assistant's Day.

My first response is to throw the chocolates and flowers in the nearest garbage bin (although the flowers do smell quite wonderful); have I been demoted? Did my title and position get taken away from me because I've been taking a lot of lunch meetings lately? I peek out of my office and notice the same chocolates and flowers on the receptionist's desk. I've been clumped. With the secretary.

Instead of being upset, instead of thinking I wasted my time as a Marketing major in college and commuting to and from Manhattan to take clients out for drinks, I try to tell myself it's because I work in an entire office of men, in a man's industry, and I am one of four (five if you count the sea cow) people within the company that has *breasts.

Is this a stereotypical, yet harmless, oversight by men or am I going to be asked to start answering the phones?

*Not to be confused with man-boobs, moobs or manly milk-bags.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man required to find gift for women.

First thought: Lingerie.

Not appropriate for super assistants nor secretaries.

Second thought: flowers.

Third thought: choc.

Problem solved.

Now they're thinking: Why isn't Min over the moon?

Women: can't please 'em.

Wombat

Min said...

So it's even more catty for me to note that the chocolates are Russell Stovers "Pecan Delights"?

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was "Marketing Coordinator's Day" and I got a spa package.

What can I say? I'm a bitch.